It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: About the new chanmode +D
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:42 pm 

hello to all ppl.
Today i try to understand the chanmode +D.
I think That something missing or its wrong.
Helpfull is for Abuse flood with Join/Part. INDEED!!!!!

lets see now.a drone/bot/spam join the channel.Didnt say anything!!
The op (include eggdrop protection bot) didnt see the join.HIDDEN USER!
The drone have all the unhidden userlist.So do his job without any problem.
Also if the channel is +m then the user have no posibility to be voiced and for sure the op didnd see him to voice him.

Propose:
the mode +D is fantastic!! i propose the hidden user just see ONLY ops onjoin.NOT all the userlist.ONLY like that the op/bot or something can control the channel and the users are saved for no virus attempt via dcc or msg as well.

Thanks cause keep trying to be our chat better.sorry for my bad english language:)

In Undernet With Trust!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dude, the channel's mode +D purpose is not to stop bots spamming, or to stop drones joining the channels. If you use it in a chat channel where people chat in query (private) and not on the channel, their nicks will be never shown in the nicklist. That way they will never be able to chat! It's purpose is for auditorium-style channels, for example: classes, interviews, etc. where you don't care who is listening (reading). Everyone may see the Delayed Joins though, by doing /names -d #channelname but they won't be shown in the nicklist. That's all regrading this mode. Don't think to use it for stopping spam or drones IF it's big chat channel and/or people chat in private.

From the RELEASE.NOTES wrote:
A new channel mode, +D, has been added for auditorium-style channels.
These are channels where most users listen but do not speak or receive
ops or voice. The effect of +D is that the server waits to send the
JOIN message for new users until the user gets ops or voice or sends a
message to the channel. A list of join-delayed users in a channel may
be retrieved by using /NAMES -d #channel. The response to /NAMES -d
uses the same format as numeric 353, but uses numeric 355 instead. If
an op removes +D while there are still join-delayed users, the server
automatically sets mode +d, and removes +d when the last user's join
is shown. It is not possible to set channel mode +d manually; its
purpose is to warn channel users that there are "hidden" users in the
channel.

I hope this makes the things clear.

Best Regards,
Mit 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:44 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

1. This is not a channel services question, topic moved.

2. as Mitko has shown you have missed the point, also ops still see the joins in question, so long as the "bot" is opped it will still see such joins, if you are on a server with this feature please note the server version still contains "beta" this means the feature is still being tested and you may be experiencing a bug.

Edit: ewps. seems ops do not still see joins, i think they should or another chan/user mode be added to allow some users in the channel to see joins on +D channels.

Last edited by xplora on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:37 pm 

i cannot insist and of course i have no power to do something exept to say the truth and what i see:

1. how many channels have problem with flood attack/drones/spam/virus sender bots?------> to many to number it.

2.how many channel are for school/interview/help and many other simulate things?------> less than the other channels.

3.the +D is solution?-------> yes is a solution for all!!!!

what i thing?

user join the channel.no say nothing. channel can have any chan mode posible like +m/+r/+l
user can see only the op announcment in channel.topic and the number of users on it.NOTHING more.NO userlist.(even users join after)Only ops on channel.user will be identify?(with antiidle or with +v)
then he can see the full userlist.
The ops/bot or X can see everything so +v can be automaticaly for ops and they can voice users.
why i propose that?
everybody know that we have problem with attacks drones and mode.
we try to protect users and we try to make chat more easy and secure.

with this mode for exemple in channel where i am Is no need to make 1500 ban daily/to change limit in every join or part and to exclude 3/4 of countries to join in cause excessive flood from their domain.
drones can join and stay down.no msg send to noone.flood bots can join with millions if they want.just stay down.
is that a solution or what?
i dont know if is posible but after testings what i saw?
op didnt see the join.(clone was in the same server too).after that conclusion is :the +D is not compatible with +m/+l.is that correct? as you say xplora i miss the point.probably i miss the point.i saw the oportunity to finaly after 3 years 24/7 abuse to make chat secure and without problems.
you prove that you have the solution and the knowlenge with this chanmode.If i am not wright with what i say just tell me.I am just a user with human resources vs bots with kernel.

nothing more.just analyze what i say and think about it.

In Undernet With Trust.

Post subject: Channel Mode +D
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:12 am 

I've done quite a bit of my own testing on this channel mode. It's only good purpose is for use in severe, frequent drone attacks. When using the channel mode +D, floating the limit is impossible, as floatlimit scripts can not see the hidden users, while the server can, and will lock the channel (too many users) while your mIRC is telling you 20 users are there with a limit of 23.

You'd have to have a special script set up to /names the channel every couple of seconds to even think of using +l in combination with +D. With limit gone, botnets and dronenets can sneak unseen into channels and launch much larger flood attacks than would ever be possible with a simple floatlimit in place.

Additionally, if it's a non-registered channel, and your ops rejoin and don't speak... they won't get auto opped... this could cause channels to fall opless due to the fact that the ops are there but hidden.

I have seen one type of drone attack that, if you put a special phrase in the topic, will cause the drones to quit immediately upon join. This still leaves the attacked channel with a constant flow of joins/quits. THIS situation is where +D can be of real use. Those join/quits will be hidden, while the channel can still operate somewhat normally.

Suggestion for coders : Give X the same capability as the server to see the hidden users so his floatlimit can still function (if not done already for when the mode goes global).

-SanitariuM-

Post subject: Re: Channel Mode +D
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:33 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

SeeknDestroy wrote:
Suggestion for coders : Give X the same capability as the server to see the hidden users so his floatlimit can still function (if not done already for when the mode goes global).

Detail, X already does, since in a technical sense it is it's own server, and it doesn't recognise channel mode +D therefore sees all joins regardless.

+D stops joins being sent to users, not between servers.

Post subject: TY
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:59 am 

Thanks for the info :)

Post subject: Re: About the new chanmode +D
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 pm 

Hello to all
I would add that You'd have to have a special script set up to /names the channel every couple of seconds to even think of using +l in combination with +D. With limit gone, botnets and dronenets can sneak unseen into channels and launch much larger flood attacks than would ever be possible with a simple floatlimit in place

Post subject: Re: About the new chanmode +D
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 am 

I have made new custom chanmode & usermode for my ircd (Unreal + Anope 1.7) and I would like to set them with Mlock. But it keep saying "unknown char". I am pretty sure you could do this with an anope module, would just mean messing about with the protocol stuff. The whole of unreal32.c is a module in anope, if you can do it in there, you can do it in a module.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]