It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: hidden access list
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:08 pm 

Suggestion: coder-com could implement another 450+/500 flag that could hide the access list and settings in a specified channel so only the ones having actual access on the channel could see them. It would prevent further packeters and/or conflicts. It could be called HIDDEN or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:40 pm 

Why would it prevent DDoS attacks against users ? Hiding even more stuff will make kiddies hit servers instead of users.

If you made this request for personal benefit, then you did wrong, you gotta see things in general. Like:
- Whats the benefit of that for users in general
- Whats the benefit of that for the network in general

If you want my personal opinion: Hiding sucks and causes only more havoc, ok, hiding someone's email address is nice, it prevents users from getting spammed. But hiding accesses is a bad(tm) thing as you would prevent a user from finding out who to contact in case of issues and or questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:55 pm 

It's not for personal benefit. It's just a simple flag for god's sake. It can be enabled/disabled at anyone's liking. Just implementing it won't make the whole network to enable it. As for knowing who to report to in case it's enabled , you can msg any op at your liking , or ask in the channel , until someone answers you. Or even tell a low access op (in case you find one) to report it to a higher one , and so on. Furthermore , the chaninfo cmd should remain public even though the flag is enabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:42 am 

I totaly disagree with this. X has enough Commands and flags already. It splits all the time due to the many messages it gets per sec. What for to add another one? Even *SPECIAL* mode channels and *NOPURGE* channels havnt got a feature like this. No need for one to be created

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:06 pm 

Great ideea, but u might wanna do this flag for everyone that is added to the access list, let`s say u`re 300 in that channel and the access list is already hidden, even if u`re 300, u`re still part of the channel, so i assume u`d like to see the access list aswell. But implementing this flag should automaticly disable the /msg x access #channel * command, or the /msg x info #channel , which are pretty usefull most of the times :P. As for the rest, i agree..could prove to be usefull in some cases :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 pm 

I already said that enabling/disabling it will affect all users , not only the issuer. And it doesn't matter how many commands , because the number itself doesn't influence the need for new ones. Once again , i said that the chaninfo cmd should remain public no matter what. How come /msg x access #channel * will become obsolete ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:16 pm 

Sit will be disabled in the CService Web Interface too? Because from Channel Info you can see all the list of access and bans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:06 pm 

DUNCAN_ wrote:
How come /msg x access #channel * will become obsolete ?

If the access list is hidden, noone besides the chann mamanger and 450 + members can use the /msg x access #channel * command to see the first 15 entries don`t u think? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 am 

Ah, so this thread is still alive after all. Wolfyx: I said only 450+/500 access level could enable it, but all accessed users could see the list if it's enabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:33 am 

So by enabling this mode it will automatically hide in the Web Interface the access list and with X's commands (/msg x access #channel */-min/-max/username)? Imagine the bandwitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:41 am 

What's a bandwitch? If you ment bandwidth, i don't think it would require any additional usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:46 pm 

its not an addition of a new command but a modification of an old one. The bandwidth will requre some additional usage since it will affect the web interface too! There is no reason for the command to be added, since you just dont add people you dont want to :) It wont prevent the ddos. Also what if someone wants to find the manager of a channel that has the mode HIDE or how you call it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:57 pm 

You obviously didn't bother to read the whole thread.
1st: I said it twice by now, the chaninfo cmd should remain public even if the flag is on.
2nd: It won't require additional bandwidth usage, period. It's the same thing as when you try to view the access list of a specific channel via web that you don't have access to (i.e. where the channel flags aren't shown). This is EXACTLY the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:52 pm 

I stil dont get why someone would like to hide such info (even it will be stil available from the Web Interface). Furthermore, ChanInfo command (/msg x chaninfo #channel or /msg x info #channel) is not the same with the Web Interface (http://cservice.undernet.org/live) that was not mentioned before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:59 pm 

If will still be availible via web ? The flags are also ported to the website, *DUH*, so if rationality still exists, could someone please teach Abyss the ways to proper explicative english ?
Ok, i give up. This is too much for me. :-?
I'm off doing something easier, like teaching porcupines how to eat pasta with japanese sticks.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next