It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:37 pm 

What do you think the kiddie's are going to drop now they started juping eachother from +x hosts?

I only see bad things;

- more netsplits
- more DoS towards undernet server
- undernet being a new heaven for kiddie's and pervs.

But who cares anyway, so what if you get DoS, just delink and get over it (right Travis?) why doesnt undernet ever learn..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:48 am 

But you can't see what server someone is on either. The packet kiddies won't know which server to DoS if they wanted a particular user gone or if they wanted to takeover a channel. Unless they DoS'd them all, except for the one they were on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:04 pm 

how hello nice to moderate this thread and remove all my posts
this is what undernet calls freedom of speech ?

haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:14 am 

I don't think it will make more netsplits and so on. We don't know where ppl is connected, and the +x mode is a great idea. The only negative thing I see is that you have to quit to remove it ... But that's another discussion.

For the moment, I don't think servers get more packeted cause of the +x mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:27 am 

most of irc server allow user to "ping" the server.
if you closed the echo port, port 7, this kind of DoS could be prevented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:36 am 

I am positively sure that the Undernet Coders are thinking of every way they can to help avoid DoS, DDoS and other types of attacks on their servers. The entire Undernet staff are doing a wonderful job for the Network, and I am honored to be allowed to actually be a part of this.. Excellent work, guys. Keep the good work up! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:36 pm 

Hey all...

One of the great things about +x, imho, is that

1) People who want to attack other people, can't easily do so. They won't have a direct target (the real IP/host is hidden)

2) People who still attack and are +x themselves can still be found, as obviously the servers themselves will still have regular access logs. They are only hiding the IPs/host to other users on the network

Mind you, that +x is only useful in this respect if, and only if, you don't first join a bunch of channels, and then set +x

+x should be set as the first thing on a connect.
If you use any auto-join scripts. Stop them. Have coded added to allow the auto-join script to be called with a command.
The command that calls the auto-join script should ONLY be run if your host -has- been hidden.

You can detect this in mIRC through the following RAW event which is sent in response to the +x mode :
RAW 396:*:{ /autojoin }

replace "/autojoin" with the correct command for your autojoin script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:47 am 

Well, I have been in severeal situations where I have to report abuse to the ISP for harrasment, threat or other situations.

Now, it's impossible to detect what ISP the user have, or the IP as well.
The opers are not available when you need them, and
the users are gone when you finally get a oper to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:10 pm 

That, of course, is the flipside of the coin. Not saying there aren't -any- negative sides to this, just that overall - (+x) to me is a good idea.

It limits the abuse to IRC-related means (joining your channel and being a pest, trying to flood you, etc.) and to general behavior problems (harassing children, etc.), and takes out the direct means of attack they otherwise might have (getting DDoS'd for a while is no fun - it affects your entire internet connection, not just IRC. And often you won't know from any logs who the instigator of the DDoS was; it's all through bots)

I don't know the official Undernet stance on connectivity logs, but it should be at least technologically possible to retrieve an IP address associated with a masked host at a certain point in time for the duration of the logs' persistence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:05 pm 

I was thinking of a system where the owner of the channel could the retrieve the ip only on users joining the channel. But thinking of how easy it is to get X, maybe that's a bad idea.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:12 am 

Most ISP administrators will not consider logs from IRC as any sort of proof (and those who do should be fired!). You would need some evidence in the form of firewall logs, and even then, it is doubtfull that you will get the results your looking for. Most ISP's (especially the big ones...) are rather indifferent when it comes to that kind of report. So, I don't think that is a significant drawback to the +x mode.

Registering tons of different hostnames and using them to evade bans is, however. Perhaps undernet should consder using a solution more like Unreal ircd does, where you can see part (but not all) of the IP address.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]