It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nicknames protection :( :( :(
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:27 am 

I wrote you because I don't know who can help me.

There is something injust in the undernet. I use the nick CIRIX since april '98 more that 8 years ago.
Last year I got my own internet and then I register it as an undernet user.

Just today some one take my nick and put it to a eggdrop bot, when I tell his owner to give me back, hi forcet me to stay in him channel. Because I get out his channel he menaced me to take my nick again.

I know that there aren't rules about to take a nick but is wrong because I used the nick CIRIX all that years.

It's unjust!!!

I think that may be that the user will have one own nickname as registered because there is an identity used for years that anyone with a psy can steal it.

I write the log of my last conversation with the thief:

Session Start: Sat Jul 21 18:43:33 2007
Session Ident: BaM`S
Session Ident: BaM`S (~testttt@zimsky6.users.undernet.org)
:          BaM`S ¦ oki my egg retrieve your nick after your next disconnect
:          BaM`S ¦ you must to paid psybnc on shell if you really want hold your nick
:          BaM`S ¦ like me
:          BaM`S ¦ whit my eggs
:          BaM`S ¦ but ... you must to choose better server than me
:          BaM`S ¦ you dont have a choice
:          BaM`S ¦ $$$
:          BaM`S ¦ :P
?           CIRIX ¦ hey
?           CIRIX ¦ was up man?
?           CIRIX ¦ you are really wrong
?           CIRIX ¦ why do you ant to steal my nick?
:          BaM`S ¦ because it s legal
:          BaM`S ¦ and nobody can stop me
:          BaM`S ¦ and i really want this nick
?           CIRIX ¦ why mine?
:          BaM`S ¦ and i have all tools for make it
:          BaM`S ¦ barf because it mine
:          BaM`S ¦ i have choose this one
:          BaM`S ¦ and nobody get it
:          BaM`S ¦ yesterday
?           CIRIX ¦ yes
:          BaM`S ¦ i take it
?           CIRIX ¦ I do it
?           CIRIX ¦ 8 years ago
:          BaM`S ¦ and if you really want hold your nick take psybnc on server unix
:          BaM`S ¦ and cross your finger for lucky

Please help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 am 

Hey, CIRIX.

Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do to help you with your issue. :-? Nicknames are free on UnderNet, that means anyone can take a nick as long as it's available. There is no policy that prohibits nick stealing, users are being recognized by their CService username and not by their nick.

All you can do is just ignore him, pick another nickname, let him know in one way or another that you don't care (ignorance usually works on these guys) and he will release your nick, sooner or later. Arguing with such people is never a solution. :wink:

Best regards,
Crosswing @ IRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:55 am 

You should also stop faking logs :D , enjoy UnderNet senior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:50 am 

It's just a nick, take another :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:18 pm 

I also keep telling people that but it seems that I just can't get through.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:46 am 

Hi,

I think he is here to for being helped so doesn't matter if he is right or not
as we are here not to judge people but show them the facts/rights
A tip; keep your comments for yourself since they don't mean anything at all, except pleonastic.

Post subject: CIRIX
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:59 am 

He wazent wrong on the fact to get a PsyBnc . a lot of undernet user and even some admins on some help channel use bnc's but... be shure to buy at the right place some people will do EVERYTHING to do fraud on Undernet * Scam .. be carefull . :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 pm 

If someone try to use your nickname, the BNC is useless because the 'hackers' set on a bot "nick that_nickname" and when the psy are disconnected, the bot will take your nickname, so, my opinion is : "on undernet you don't have how to protect your nickname".

Post subject: Re: Nicknames protection :( :( :(
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:06 pm 
#Userguide Member

I'm sorry to tell you that, Nicknames are not owned on Undernet and you can have whatever nick you like to.
Let's except Undernet Officials, you can get killed if you take their nicks because Impersonating.

All you have to know is that Undernet is not other networks that allow Nickname Registration. You can also Register an X username and set it's invisible off (the people who would like to contact you can simply do "/msg X info username" and it will return that you are currently logged on the nickname!user@host)

Yours truly and Sincerly,

Featured as MartYanu2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:57 am 

MartYanu2 wrote:
I'm sorry to tell you that, Nicknames are not owned on Undernet and you can have whatever nick you like to.
Let's except Undernet Officials, you can get killed if you take their nicks because Impersonating.

All you have to know is that Undernet is not other networks that allow Nickname Registration. You can also Register an X username and set it's invisible off (the people who would like to contact you can simply do "/msg X info username" and it will return that you are currently logged on the nickname!user@host)

Featured as MartYanu2

I think, He already know that nicknames are free on this network, He were pointed out something else, This person keeps his nickname within a eggdrop and he forces him to pay a bnc from his shell, maybe he planning to steal his username with this way too. But In any event you wouldn´t have msg him or argue by said ''Hey It's my nick since long time I used'' As it doesn't make any sense. The biggest difference of Undernet from all other networks and the most fascination feature of the Undernet is that the first connecting person is able to use the wished nickname also register the wished username\channel etc. I mean, the first and fastest one wins.

According the your explanation MartYanu2, Its not a tradition for only old and new users. It's something happening for long. Even a Cservice Admin or IRCop can use nickname` or `nickname because someone was faster than him and got the nickname. Because people may use an official's nickname without knowing that, for these rare situations a channel ban may be led. It'd happen this way, if you join a help channel knowing or not knowing that you are using a network official's nickname they may ask you to change your nickname due to the fact that it belongs to an official and it may confuse people. If you dont listen to their warning, they may ban you from the channel. It'd certainly not lead to a kill nor gline.
Consequently, stealing nicks or keeping a nick on a bot or anything else in this way arent abuse. Undernet Officials dont accept any complaints or report about this.

Best regards/RevivaL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 pm 
#Userguide Member

Revival wrote:
MartYanu2 wrote:

Featured as MartYanu2

I think, He already know that nicknames are free on this network, He were pointed out something else, This person keeps his nickname within a eggdrop and he forces him to pay a bnc from his shell, maybe he planning to steal his username with this way too. But In any event you wouldn´t have msg him or argue by said ''Hey It's my nick since long time I used'' As it doesn't make any sense. The biggest difference of Undernet from all other networks and the most fascination feature of the Undernet is that the first connecting person is able to use the wished nickname also register the wished username\channel etc. I mean, the first and fastest one wins.

According the your explanation MartYanu2, Its not a tradition for only old and new users. It's something happening for long. Even a Cservice Admin or IRCop can use nickname` or `nickname because someone was faster than him and got the nickname. Because people may use an official's nickname without knowing that, for these rare situations a channel ban may be led. It'd happen this way, if you join a help channel knowing or not knowing that you are using a network official's nickname they may ask you to change your nickname due to the fact that it belongs to an official and it may confuse people. If you dont listen to their warning, they may ban you from the channel. It'd certainly not lead to a kill nor gline.
Consequently, stealing nicks or keeping a nick on a bot or anything else in this way arent abuse. Undernet Officials dont accept any complaints or report about this.

Best regards/RevivaL

OFF TOPIC:
:baaa: I'm sorry, I see that you quote all replies on all threads and forums trying to explain something to someone who is too old around here, please stop doing that because it's really annoying, and, I guess I did not noticed your name in my reply.

No offence, and, sorry for the off topic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm 

Did you guys even check the date of the last post?
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]