It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to improve your spoken English
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:29 pm 

Why Reader's Digest? Isn't that one of those magazines that you mail order and than they pretend that they don't speak English when you ask them to cancel your order.
My best strategy, when I was learning English was to learn sentences... repeat them in your head until you remember them like a verse from a song. It helps with recall of words and learning how to structure sentences. Structure of a sentence is different in every language and beginners often try to translate what they want to say directly from their language, which often doesn't make any sense.
Another one, if you go to an English speaking country, speak English and don't surround yourself with your compatriots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm 

If you really want to take drastic action,
move to US/UK/Australia!
=) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 pm 

It also helps to watch movies and tv shows in English. I prefer the British accent although difficult to understand sometimes. I usually associate the Queen's english to princes and princesses. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 am 

Reading a lot of short stories, news articles, and books helps a lot. Also finding reasons to speak English whenever you can (practice makes perfect). It also helps watching English movies and listening to English songs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:00 pm 

It's been my experience that one of the best ways to learn to speak any new language is to also learn to read and write in that language. Crafting even a few short paragraphs weekly will push you to understand the different patterns of syntax and grammar associated with the new language. After you've written your best work, try to find a native speaker of that language that is willing to listen to you as you recite what you have written.

The combination of visual (written word) and oral (spoken word) will almost certainly reinforce your mastery of the language. Having a native speaker listen to you as you recite will allow for immediate feedback. Take notes and write them down on your written page as an additional reinforcement. My humble opinion- Angela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm 

Live, work and study in English-speaking country.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 am 

Or following News on TV is another one, preferable news like BBC they speak correct

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:18 pm 

Reed books but do it loud! With voice :)
Watch movies or tv program with subtitles!
If you are watching movie you can stop it any time and repeat difficult words :)
Listen English songs, try to understand every word and sing the song ;)
English learning CD is very helpful too.
But remember - American and British English is different :)
Good luck :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm 

I saw this in a movie. The actor who was an immigrant taped his English lessons and played it over and over again - when he's at work as a janitor mopping the floors, cleaning the windows, etc.

It's easier to write because you have time to gather your thoughts and you can edit easily. With spoken English, once the words are out, they're out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:06 am 

Read a lot of books in English. Now a days with better technology you can download plenty of books from google books or other online sites and read them on your iPad or iPhone. I have at least 500 books on my iPhone that I read.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 am 

Best way to do this is to have regular conversations with individuals who already have a good grasp of the language. This rule applies to any language.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 pm 

Reading books and newspapers will not help with spoken English. I know this from my own experience as immigrants to the USA. My father, who keeps reading English, can hardly communicate with native Americans. My mother on the other hand; who watches television, and mixes with the locals and attends activities is doing much better. I should mention that my father is a university graduate, whereas my mother hasn't even finished high school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:45 pm 

Try to read newspapers, I believe they are written for a grade eight level. When writing, try to make your sentences concise. The shorter, the better. Try to have only one thought in one sentence. Try to speak with people as much as you can. Don't worry if you get it wrong, just communicate. I remember my first actual sentence after living in Canada for about a month; I said "I am wearing a blue sweater". Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:59 am 

Speaking with native speakers. I have friends who speak a little Spanish and are trying learn more by speaking with each other. They learn each others bad grammar and accents! Speaking with a native born English speaker works best (if you can find one who wants to talk)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:53 pm 

One tip I've picked up while trying to learn other languages, try to think in the language you want to speak (English in this case). Do not think in your native language then translate the thought into the desired language!

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next