It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: You have been spammed / Secure your forum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:55 pm 

Hi!

Your forum is wide open to automatic registrations and postings. Spammers can use it to spread their junk automatically, just like we did to send you this message.

Please read this article to learn how we did this and how to secure your forum against this pest:
http://www.beehave.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1400

This is a one-time posting by 'Projekt SpamBot 2.0' to help forum-admins to secure their software. This account will not be used again, you can delete it (and this post) if you wish.
(We know we said it would have been a one time-posting the last time, but now being able to crack phpBB's CAPTCHA and the 'Humanizer' so easily lead us to version 2.0 to tell the community *again* how unsafe phpBB is.)

phpBB's standard-CAPTCHA is NOT safe. If you activated it for your forum, this post is the proof that it can be broken. This post shows how it was done:
http://www.beehave.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10122#10122
Also the standard-'Humanizer' offers no security. You'll agree if you have it installed and have this text posted to your forum.

If you still believe, this is 'regular' spam and clicking on our links will do harm to you, kill your pet or empty your bankaccount: don't click, but help yourself to some MODs to stop spammers.
We recommend at least 'Advanced Visual Confirmation' and 'Unique Registration Hash' which can be found at phpbbhacks.com or the MOD-database on phpbb.com.

Greetings,
pseudocode

PS: if you want to contact us, please follow the link and contribute to our discussion. E-Mails and PMs to this account as well as replies to this post will not be read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:01 pm 

why do i have this feeling that this guy is actually a bot? :roll: or probably im wrong but those digits after his username can be tricky sometimes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:46 am 

bladerunner7885 Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:55 pm

first paragraph, second sentence of his post:

"Spammers can use it to spread their junk automatically, just like we did to send you this message."

Spidel Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 pm
(that's 1 hour 6minutes later)

"why do i have this feeling that this guy is actually a bot?"

Why do i have a feeling that Spidel on answering this post, hadn't actually really read it?

Anyway... beyond childish teasing, the fact is that after going to the english side of the discussion about "Projekt Spambot", and reading part of it, I have also been overcome by a variety of "feelings".... "revelations" ... "conclusions" even....

btw the date of the initial post there is October 10, 2006 .......

Supposedly, a massive amount of "resources" (human as well as bandwidth & hardware) are being donated to all those enlightened & knowledgeable people who run Undernet in all its forms (servers, forum, help channels, c-service, etc)....

To quote from our own proud homepage:
"one of the largest realtime chat networks in the world, with approximately 19 servers connecting over 35 countries and serving more than 1,000,000 people weekly"

I have been around since 1996, after "real people" induced me to what for a few years was a communications medium where "real people" always took precedence. I made friends, I made enemies, but the human factor was always present & dominant; I was even involved in the running of quite a large channel for a while, a project culminating with a proposal (with a little help from some friends & eventually unsuccesful) to add a new Undernet server.

The same as many people then just as today, I willfully commited personal resources (hours & di nero) into what I felt was a rewarding pasttime.

No matter the degrees of ineptitude of the people I co-existed with on Undernet, whether above, below or including my own, I never doubted for a moment that this medium would always have a lot to offer to all who would try it, regardless their level of involvement.

Even though I have not been so active anymore, I still try to keep up with developments & surely the post I am answering to here is not the one & only inspiration for my post.

"Concluding", as years have gone by & means to "chat" have evolved into the audio-visual, Undernet seems to be "devolving". I "feel" that if the servers' capacity has been geometrically increasing, the quality of the human resources running them have been decreasing geometrically to the cube. My common sense tells me that in the day of audio-visual chat the only way for text-chat to survive is by safeguarding & even improving the quality of the "company of chatters" so as to succeed in the exercise of "less is more".

In a cyber community where anyone can choose where to spend their chat time, it makes me wonder why ANYONE (new) would insist on hanging out in a medium with a bot:human ratio that keeps rising, the cherry on the cake being the aforementioned medium having a so "proud" 20000+ users forum where spam is multiplying faster than the avian flu virus.

Were I a new user today -and a well meaning one at that- I KNOW I would not give Undernet a second chance.

In the past couple of years, "you who have the power" have been implementing half measures too little & twice too late, dragging along with you all the "administrative" support... and most of all the "1,000,000 people weekly" mentioned in the introduction at "http://www.undernet.org/".

I got my kicks & laughs from Undernet & I thank you. I also thank the ones back then who provided the infrastructure that allowed me to do that (from what I saw in the Jail thread inspiring people did & must still be around). I also hope I gave some of what was given me back to others.

My main hope though is that those who now CAN, WILL turn things around, SOON, so that not only a few "...million bots weekly..." are the only ones to witness the change....

I "feel" my "conclusions" are not "revelations" to all who read all of the above.

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:29 pm 

RaKouNi wrote:

I got my kicks & laughs from Undernet & I thank you. I also thank the ones back then who provided the infrastructure that allowed me to do that (from what I saw in the Jail thread inspiring people did & must still be around). I also hope I gave some of what was given me back to others.

My main hope though is that those who now CAN, WILL turn things around, SOON, so that not only a few "...million bots weekly..." are the only ones to witness the change....

I "feel" my "conclusions" are not "revelations" to all who read all of the above.

Van

Isn't it sad when such beautiful words are followed by... spam?

I understand perfectly what Van says. Even past users, those who left the Undernet for a while and then came back, feel the situation of today. More and more bots around, the discussions are not as fun as they used to be. The volunteers running this biiiiig project are almost the same type (a few big-hearted people willing to help), but what can you do against the masses?

In the past, I learnt a lot of things from here. Starting with computer tricks and maybe continuing with food recipes and holiday tips. Made lots of friends, some of them are now real-life friends. Is this network keeping its educational purpose? I'm afraid not.

If you want to change anything, follow your common sense and do not think "if it works, I don't want to change it".

Just my two cents (or pence),
LinuxChick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:21 am 

Indeed UnderNet has changed and indeed SPAM and bots, drones and whatever have started to flood the network and those "real-users" are starting to leave... many already left, as I come to see when I join channels that in 2000 had above 150+ users and today there are only 15-20 users and those are just bouncers or bots and 10% humans.
Regarding the educational part I must say that IRC is still a medium that allows me to get a lot of help regarding linux OSs and Windows issues ( as we all know, a man comes across a lot of windows issues :) ) and a lot of other topics..
The conclusion is that ... THE BORGS ARE HERE, drones , bots and spam are taking over .. Enjoy UnderNet .. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]