It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New section
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hello.
I have seen this around many forums, and it has helped the users in need of help.
I propose creating a new section in the forum dedicated Hijackthis logs. What's Hikackthis? It's a free program, that's less than 120k, that creates an "image" of your system (os, running proceses, registry entries, etc) and then it can create a .txt file with that information. The idea is like so : the user comes to the forum reads the instruction on how to make a hijacthis log, creates a thread and pastes in his log. Then, members of a removals usergroup will answer , and after the problem is solved, the thread is locked, and marked as done. The usergroup will be formed out of the members of the 3 virus help channels on undernet (those who want to volunteer their time of course).

Take a look at Hijackthis if you haven't already seen it.

This will compensate the times when the channels are inactive, and will be an alternative way of getting the job done, rather than just doing the removal thru mIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:25 pm 

That's just stupid. Are you suggesting asking people to compromise their box security just so they can seek help from Undernet officials ? With that many antivirus/cleaning/firewall software out there who the hell will bother anyway ? And furthermore , who can guarantee 100% for the so-called officials/anti-virus chan regulars ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Seems that you are not informed. there are many types of infection that are not detected by anti-viruses/trojan tools. Many users don't know even how to find such tools, and many don't have an anti-virus / firewall (the majority of those who get infected). And they aren't comprosing anything, their box has been already compromised if its infected :o .. but i bet you knew that

As for the ones that will be doing the cleaning, their the same people that clean undernet users on IRC, and they're doing a great job, all 3 channels.

Please consider your words before labelling an intention to do good as stupid.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:04 pm 

Well if i understood well its a kind of online help. Why bother since there is already online real-time help in the virus help channels of UnderNet? (like #vh #nohack or #dmsetup). Also keep in mind that official help channels are #CService #UserGuide and some others i cannot remember. It looks too complicated for me to figure out how it will work so I have no idea how useful this will be in UnderNet IRC Network Forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:52 pm 

In my humble opinion, the purpose of this idea is good, but there could be some risky legal issues neither Undernet nor any goodwill AV-helping volunteer would like to assume or accept.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]