It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Help Connection] Too many connections from your host.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:28 am 

for two days now I've been unable to connect to undernet... I've tried every server and I always get the same response (even though I'm NOT connecting a second time)

Quote:
* Connect retry #4 elsene.be.eu.undernet.org (6667)
-
-elsene.be.eu.undernet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-elsene.be.eu.undernet.org- *** Found your hostname, cached
-
-elsene.be.eu.undernet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-elsene.be.eu.undernet.org- *** No ident response
-
Ping? Pong!
-
Closing Link: Sang by Elsene.Be.Eu.undernet.org (Too many connections from your host)
-
* Disconnected

any clue whats up? I thought maybe there was a ghost of me on the server, but a friend is having a similar problem.

~ Sang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:16 pm 
Probably you share your IP with someone else. Try connecting to a different server, that should be avoided then. You can find a list of those servers in the *Servers* section of http://www.undernet.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:07 pm 

It might also be a problem with ident. I have that problem with certain servers from time to time when connecting. I know for a fact that I'm the only person with my IP address connecting (Static IP at work, I'm the only one who connects to undernet) and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the the block that assigned to this office connecting to undernet. :) I also get the error at home when I can't Ident (but at my parents house I don't have the problme because I can ident up there). If you're behind a firewall, and you're the only one connecting to IRC, see if you can get port 113 bounced to your machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:42 am 

I would say that the IRC server isn't seeing YOUR IP address, but an address from a router or firewall machine further up the line. Most routers aren't supposed to respond to IDENT requests, so it's probably misconfigured (or the admins set it up that way intentionally to 'break' IRC... it HAS been known to be a productivity killer in the workplace yanno... :D )

What method do you use to connect to the Internet, does your friend have the same provider/connection type, and how is this different from the connection method at your parent's place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:59 am 

Well, my parents' computer is connected directly up to their cablemodem, I'm connected to my router which is connected to the modem. Everytime I've had that problem, I've been behind a firewall that doesn't send ident through, so I've always figured that it was due to that. If it isn't, then I've been talking out of my ass and I apologize. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:17 am 

The Undernet only accepts 1 (or 2) connections from the host. If you run another copies of mIRC and try to connect, or if you share your IP (using a proxy or a firewall, e.g. with ICS), the server will see you all as coming from one address and it won't let you connect.
People from LANs or Netcafe's using proxys usually experience this situation. Nothing we can do about. These are Undernet's connection rules.

Online help in #userguide/#help/#helpchan

Regards

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:58 am 

or it could be that you've clicked on a link given to you on join by someone. these have trojan viruses that install certain programs in your computer. this programs lets the lamer launch another irc client without your knowledge. the lamer has complete control over that irc client and that is what they use to DoS a server (pretty much like what happened in DALnet). so i suggest that you clean up your remote section if you are just using a plain mIRC client with no scripts. if you do have scripts then go to #dmsetup to see whether the script is a trojan or a normal script.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]