It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Inexplicable G-Line? HELP REQUESTED
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:18 am 

I've run into a problem on Undernet.

When I left for work today everything seemed fine, and I left my IRC client open and running as I do every day, all the time. When I came home I found that I had been disconnected, and that subsequent re-connect attempts had been blocked by a "G-Line."

I had heard the term before, but to be sure I understood it I had to look it up. I was dismayed to learn that a G-line is effectively a ban directed at a specific user.

I had been away from the computer for a number of hours before the g-line went into effect, and I highly doubt that any of my housemates went in and used my name for anything. None of them have ever used IRC before, and all of the tabs appeared to be as I had left them.

I have been using undernet for at least 5 years. Unfortunately I'm not yet as 'techy' as I'd like to be. I wonder if I have only been g-lined from the specific server I connect through (Helsinki, if it helps) or from undernet as a whole. To complicate this, I cannot find the method by which to connect through a different server using my current IRC client.

I'm generally a pretty agreeable guy, and well-liked, so even the possibility of the g-line being activated several hours after my last activity seems remote. I haven't ticked anybody off on undernet for a good number of months (to be conservative in my estimate). I truly cannot imagine for what reason this measure has been taken.

I am hoping someone here can give me the help and information I need to get this sorted out. Normally I'd talk to my buddies on undernet with a computer/online problem that's over my head, but I don't have that option in this case.

I am completely confused. Please help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 am 

E-mailing abuse[at]undernet.org and mentioning the server and your IP, would be a solution, but if you could paste us the g-line reason, we might be able to estimate when it expires, but just to be sure..drop an e-mail at abuse@

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 am 

Thanks for your help. That's part of the problem; unless I'm looking in the wrong place, it doesn't seem to be providing a reason. The line simply says:

Closing Link: swippy by mesa2.az.us.undernet.org (G-lined)

My father pointed out that the line above it says:

[46] Compromised hosts.

Maybe that's the "reason." I'll definitely go ahead and write that email though. Sounds like my best bet. Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

swippy wrote:
[46] Compromised hosts.

OK, that means it was not specific to just you, it was probably an entire IP block (256 addresses or more g-lined) of which the IP address your computer/adsl/whatever was using happens to be in. Have you tried any other servers? (this kind of g-line is more likely to be server specific.)

Only abuse@undernet.org can provide more information tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:18 pm 

Hi

I am totally agreed with the two given answers above.
As I know:Thats not a actual gline it could be a one hour glines.All servers have different restrictions based on a lot of things,Some are nick patterns others may be identd patterns or lack of ident (replying to ident) If your nick is odd,if ident is letter-number or the tilde mark in your ident ~ A lot of proxies\drones\bots uses that random garbage like ~w6179@ or ~q2827@ or if you didnt set a Identd before a local gline possibly,Because local servers can have their own restriction
Closing link, means the server closed your connection so it won`t accept it also It is a global Gline,its not server specific
you could try typing "/debug @debug" before trying to connect,then you can try mailing abuse@undernet.org with the reason and your ip address ask for instruction as they deals with glines\klines issues
That's all what i can explain / inform you.for further more informations for such kind of problems or informations please visit our general IRC channel #Help this channel will provide you better informations.

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:02 am 
Forum Moderator

The Glines are clearly explained in Outsider's sticky posted in this section. You can find it here

Topic closed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]