It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:46 pm 

Sitting in IRC for a long time won't give you the much sought after O:line. Sitting in a help channel day in and day out won't give you Oper status. Sleeping with the Admin of a server is your best bet. :) But seriously. About the only way to become an IRCop is to know an admin for a server. They're the ones that setup the O:lines for you (after all, they're the one with Console access :) ) It can take a long time and a lot of effort to gain the trust of an Admin. An admin isn't going to just one day out of the blue say, "Hey, I've noticed that you have helped a lot of people out, I'm going to make you an Oper!" If this does happen, chances are, he just got fired and is no longer the admin. :) Now don't go bothering admins to become an Oper. They hate that. If you're lucky, you might get ignored rather than banned. :)

Post subject: Nice topic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:14 pm 

I never though that i'll find so fine how ppl think about Oper or an O::line. For ppl an Oper it's the one who are the little big boss after the big one :) and we can though that we can do all what we want and we are up of AUP, but we forgot one thing Oper are here to let pl who abuse respect this AUP and its normal to have like this selection for " hiring " Oper. We could not put anyone like Oper, just imagine how could be Unet after that not a peaceful place but just place to bored ppl make them tired and upset :) So an Oper for me it's someone who let ppl respect AUP who normely will be readed and accepted.
I just want to tell you sorry if my english is so so :) But i do my best to improve it :)
Regards
Seawalker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:39 pm 

Hrmmm looks like im going to have to sleep with an admin then :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:44 am 

EL_Polako wrote:
Why would you like to become an IRCOP, and What do you have to Offer?
Do you think you are Prepared to be one?
Why do you think you are prepared?

I can offer a lot of my time on internet (irc) and i can help others people how need help on irc. And i dont want to become an IRCOP for @ :lol:
10x
Yes I want to become an IRCOP
I`m prepared

Last edited by eegdrop on Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:50 am 

I want to become an IRCOP :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:24 am 

Hi, thanks for your interest in the Undernet. I strongly recommend you read this excellent document to know what ircops and their jobs are: http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/operfaq.html

I hope the doc helps you understand what really an ircop is and what they do.

Online help in #userguide/#help/#helpchan

Regards

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Before you convince yourself that you want to become a "IRC operator" ask yourself at least one of this questions : "Why do I want to become a IRC operator? " , " Am I good for this job , will I work hard and good ? " , "I want to become a IRC operator only to have more and more power and to show my friends? " Remember that being a irc operator [ircop] means A LOT of hard work and dedication. There are some RULES for ircops too so you don`t exactly do whatever you want to do.
Many people ask in different help channels how can they become ircops but most of them have no idea about what are the qualities of a ircop : hard-working , with experience , etc. Don`t get mad because a ircop couldn`t help you solving your problem with your *unregistered channel* or smth else. This is NOT their main job. Their job is to make the server run good and to solve the main server problems..So don`t think that it`s a easy job and that you will have many many fun because , if you become one , i think that you will NOT (have that much fun).
As cArLiLLoS told you guys i strongly recommand that you go and READ carefully this oper faq at:

http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/operfaq.html

Best wishes ,
`Dj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:52 pm 

I don't really know if anyone really deserves to be an IRCOp :). The truth is that everybody has a nice little dose of pride. The thing is that most people that have sent messages here don't know how hard it can be just to understand how an IRC server works at user level and they allready want to earn rights that put them above user levels. The truth I think is that only the server admins and a selected few can gain IRCOp status, as most users you meet on the IRC won't reach this status ever.
I hope i did not get lost in details.
With regards,

Iviv

Post subject: Just a thought
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:43 pm 

Ok im new to this forum postings, but have been on IRC since 1996. My idea about an IRC Op is that instead of looking to be an IRCop, the people who are capable of providing support can hang around in the many help channels around the undernet. I personally dont hang out in the official ones as there already are too many good people with lots of knowledge and ready to help anyone and everyone most of the time :) I think if you have the skills and knowledge to be an IRCop, you can share it with others by even hanging in your interesting channels and helping others get an idea of how servers and networks work in general. The commands, networks and bandwidth issues are boring for many *sigh* but for some its their job, life and fun ;) So I can always find one or two folks whom I can fillup as well as learn a lot from them.

One thing that I would like to add about IRCop is that as we saw the DDoS on DALNET recently, so Undernet is also sometimes against potential attacks. I think it would be good idea if Undernet decides to putup some application form with an intensive test of knowledge and skills, so that just in case the server admins are short of good IRCops, atleast you may have a list of backup potential candidates that might be willing and are capable of helping the network run smoothly :classic: Just a thought.

If the focus shifts from wanting to be an IRCop towards sharing what we already know and helping others understand how the networks connects, operates and how IRC can be used more safely for chatting and sharing thoughts, it might bring more peace and *smiles*

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2