It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [General] I wanna do more for the Undernet Community.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:06 pm 

If you wish please tell me how to be an irchelper, I don`t want to be an ircop I just want to be a helper, I like helping people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:10 pm 

Well Daffy, depending on the channel you choose to help in. Some channels have applications for becoming a helper there, and some channels pick you up after months of volunteering if they think you are a great asset for their team. As i am a CService trainee, i will advise you to join cservice, and see how it`s like. If you like it, stick around and look how people help in there. You might wanna read http://cservice.undernet.org/main/guidelines too. I suggest that you should sit there 1-2 weeks to observe, and after you finish doing so, if you are 100% sure of the answer, you may begin helping. Just remember, we are all volunteers here, so we do this for fun. If you want to help only to get access or fame somewhere, there`s a weak chance you will succed. If you keep in mind what i just told you up, you will do fine. Cheers! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the advice and I would like to be a helper on #cservice because i know something about registering channels and x commands, but i still have too learn. I am watching and learning at the same time how do helpers proceed on #cservice from a few days. Thanks for the link, I had allready read the opschool about 'x commands' and 'username and channel registrations', but now i will try to lear a few things from there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Wolfyx, then why all volunteers (and Non CSC personnel) use popups in #cservice ? When a guest joins they are like fighting for food to help him (of course with popups). I am not talking about everyone but many of the volunteers (non csc staff) are like that in #cservice.

Whateva..
DaffyDuck, channel for general help and general irc help is #Help, but it's a channel for advanced helpers who can help in any field. You might want to check these pages:
About #Help - http://help.undernet.org/about.php?what=start
#Help Rules - http://help.undernet.org/about.php?what=rules
Advices for volunteers - http://www.help.undernet.org/topics.php?what=volunteer

Also you can read the whole help website .

Best Regards,
Mit 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:02 pm 

Mitko, i assure you we don`t use popups THAT frequently, atleast i do not, only for long answers. Trust me he can learn much from just sitting and watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:50 pm 

Thank you both for your advices. I will try to keep them in mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:35 am 

Actually there are lots of help channels around here on the network you can choose from all of those BUT remember there are OFFICIAL HELP CHANNELS compose of Undernet Staffs and also the Cservice family...now if you want to help users this time you can hang on #Cservice to learn something about the network service bot which known as X and also if we specify some help channel who helps with their own language we also have it.
#turQuaz - Turkish help channel
#Ayuda - Spanish help channel

You can also check the Userguide's page

Hope that helps. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:21 am 

Hey guys I just want to make conclusion after 6 months of helping as a volunteer on #cservice nd Mitko I will have to agree with Wolfyx the volunteers aren`t alowed to use popups but as for the helping part you are right when someone asks for help more then one volunteer/trainee/official try to help him, but i think this is because on #cservice there are more "helpers" than needed
p.s. i had tryed once on #help but you have to be an expert, not on every thing but you have to know a little form everything and I`m still learning .Anyway thanks for your advices people I didn`t got banned and I`m still a volunteer so I think your advices helped me so thanks again :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:00 pm 

ok, as daffy said, i too wanna do more for Undernet. I`m already a volunteer on #cservice for some time....but i feel that`s not enough. the most annoying thing i can think of on undernet is seeing people who use flood bots, multiple usernames, spam bots and so on (mostly of them romanian. I`m romanian too, but i`m shamed when someone asks me from where am i, and in the second i asnwer :romania, the first thing that comes in his mind is : flooders, abusers, lamers). So, i don`t know if this ideea was already discussed or not, i don`t even know if i`m in the right place to post it, but my ideea is to create a channel (somethin` like a backchannel, not available to public), to gather some trusted people in that channel and to try stopping a part of this massive abuse on undernet nowadays. Just think of it a little : there are a lot of people already working on preventing/stoping abuses, but i think if some people just hang around in some normal channel, there`s a lot of chances they will spot abusers in those channels. I know everyone who spots abuse can mail at cservice-abuse@undernet.org or abuse@undernet.org , depending on the abuse type, but i also think that if there would be a team who works ONLY on that, it would be way more efficient. Now, as far as u people know, what are the chances for that channel to be aproved by the CSC ? If i make that channel and the team, i want it to be official...I`m waiting your opinions/sugestions. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:48 pm 
#help member

naked santa I'm affraid that your ideea has already been applied :)
I'm talking about #report-abuse , the channel did a preety good job, but, afaik, nowadays it's closed to public, willing to be reopened someday :-)

*offtopic*About the romanian abusers thigie, I have to remind you that lotsa romanians are active in help channels too, and do a great job.*offtopic*

Even though you open such a channel we find the same old problem regarding Undernet and all its help channels *official* and *unofficial*, I don't know why people do so much fuss about becoming ''official''. There are already too many help channels for every possible domain, some of them do a very good work without being official.
You said your channel will be closed to public, then how you will be able to gather information about the abused channels, since there is noone to report the abuse?

You'll need a skilled team able to do more than killing the drones and G:line the abusers... anyhow I wish you good luck with your project.

Regards tT :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:20 pm 

tT, thanks for the advice, i might think of creating that channel anyway, even though it won`t be official. now, about romanian abusers, u said there are a lot of romanians involved in help channels; i know that, i`m a romanian too and i`m a volunteer at #cservice, and i know a lot of other romanians who do good, but there a even more romanian that do bad...i know this may seem crazy, and way to hard to achive, but what i`m tryin` to do is to get romanians a little bit of good reputation on undernet. And about the "closed to public" part, i mean i want it to be a channel regular users won`t know about, especially abusers. i can assure u a lot of people involved in abuses know about #report-abuse (i`ve also heard about that channel too, but i didn`t quite know what it was about) and try to avoid it. But, think of it this way, if u for example were an abuser, u would know that there are channel wich deal with that kind of stuff, and try to avoid them and the users that are on those channels, but if that channel is kinda secret, u just wake up one day busted :) that`s the ideea, to try to get rid of some abusers, and they not to know from where they were shut down. and i think i will do that...official or not, u were right, there are a lot of channels that do great jobs without being official :) thanks again for your advice. i expect more sugestions/advices from everyone :)

Regards, naked_santa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

nakedsanta, your idea is actually a project already. That's all I am going to say :)

Best Regards,
Mit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:17 pm 

oky Mitko, any suggestions ? like, should i try it or not ? :P I mean...there`s no death in tryin` (*offtopic* except when u try to stop a train with your nose....now that might be a problem *offtopic*)

See ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:28 am 
Forum Moderator

nakedsanta wrote:
oky Mitko, any suggestions ? like, should i try it or not ? :P I mean...there`s no death in tryin` (*offtopic* except when u try to stop a train with your nose....now that might be a problem *offtopic*)

See ya

Well we have #report-abuse....you could help by reporting lamers/flooders/abusers you encounter. I see no point in opening a new project....But that`s my humble oppinion. If you are not satisfied with the work they do, make your own project!

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:33 pm 

sirAndrew, don`t get me wrong, i really apreciate #report-abuse and the work they`re doin`....but that`s an open to public channel. if someone is a member of that channel, when someone tries for example, to flood him with bots, from the second he notices that the person he is tryin` to flood is on #report-abuse...he`d think twice before doin` it...abusers fear #report-abuse...and try to avoid it. but if there would be a channle wich deals with the same stuff, but it`s secret...u can`t hide from somethin` that u don`t even know its there right ? this is my opinion...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next