It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [General] Creating Undernet Server.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:15 am 

i mean like i own it and run it, but i wanted to know first.. is it free. and second were can i?? cause well im sick of other peoples. Id rather jsut have my own, and people can come in to mine. is it possible for free. and if nto what is possible for free??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:38 am 
Forum Moderator

You will first need a server machine. That means another PC on wich you will run the IRCD (the irc daemon/server). You will also need an "always-on" internet connection (like Cable). After you have all this you will need the program wich will run the actual irc server : look here for details about this subject http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1584

The server should be running any flavour of linux that suits you best. So at least minimun linux knowledge is requiered. Setting up the server is not quite difficult, but getting the clients is almost impossible, considering the number of good networks that exist today, but nobody says you can't give it a shot :wink:
Good luck ! :D

And to answer your question, nobody charges for irc servers, but the equipment you need doen't come cheap (especially the internet connection)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:00 pm 
#Userguide Member

YounGun wrote:
You will first need a server machine. That means another PC on wich you will run the IRCD (the irc daemon/server). You will also need an "always-on" internet connection (like Cable). After you have all this you will need the program wich will run the actual irc server : look here for details about this subject http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1584

The server should be running any flavour of linux that suits you best. So at least minimun linux knowledge is requiered. Setting up the server is not quite difficult, but getting the clients is almost impossible, considering the number of good networks that exist today, but nobody says you can't give it a shot :wink:
Good luck ! :D

And to answer your question, nobody charges for irc servers, but the equipment you need doen't come cheap (especially the internet connection)

Well first of all you don't need no "flavour of linux" and no linux experience, and not even another PC, you can run a very smooth and nice IRC Server on windows, on your own computer, cause I don't think he intends to have more than a few friends connecting.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "nobody charges for irc servers" ..if you mean ..that you don't pay when you connect to one, then yes that's true, but if you were refering to the IRC Server software..well not all of it is free for example the IRCXpro software...not only that it is not free..but it costs up to 1000$... :bandit:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I was referring to linux-ircds that are actually free. For windows ircds I don't know what the price is, or wheter they are free or not. Repeating, i was talking about linux ircds, if you had visited the link i gave (http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1584) you could of easily figured this out.

he didn't specify the future use of this IRC network, but i gave him what i thought , was the best scenario. Linux is free , the ircds that run on him are free (and open-source),the only thing you need to worry about is the internet connection. With your suggestion, you need to buy windows licence, and you say the ircd is not free (actually very expensive).

With the money he saves using linux, he can buy himself a secon-hand pII 333 mhz 512 ram and run the Ircd and even link it to Undernet. If he gets a nice T3 line (requirements here http://routing-com.undernet.org/showdoc.php?id=2)

Post subject: heh
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:03 am 
#Userguide Member

heh,

Quote:
With the money he saves using linux, he can buy himself a secon-hand pII 333 mhz 512 ram and run the Ircd and even link it to Undernet. If he gets a nice T3 line (requirements here http://routing-com.undernet.org/showdoc.php?id=2)

Well you might want to actually read that site... because the minimum is 600Mhz... and yes linux is free..but you think someone that knows next to nothing about it can configure a server?¿...well NO, and another routing-com requirement is that the administrator should have experience with *NIX OS , so that means learning..a lot..cause linux is far from simple...and that takes quite a bit..and you know what they say "time means money" 8) :wink:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]