It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Preventing Forum Spam
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 am 

lo ppl,

A few hours ago, in reply to a post by etherfast to a post made solely with intention to spam, I wrote down maybe 30 words proposing a solution to get rid of spam in this forum once and for all.

I expected a moderator to:

1/ Delete/edit the initial post (10-20 or so links to sex sites)
2/ Edit the initial thread to "How to avoid forum spam"
3/ Allow other people to contribute ideas on about how to keep out such sickos to ruin part of what we consider as positively contributing to our lives -> in this case undernet & all related

Instead, a few hours later, I found the entire topic deleted.

My suggestion was as follows:

1/ Registration on this forum should be done from the same list of ISPs as allowed by CService, -> freemail should not be allowed
2/ Usernames here should match registered usernames on Undernet, using the same e-mail provider
3/ Any abuse here or on IRC should be followed by across the board suspensions, wherever it originates, using IP matching etc.

Either this forum serves IRC-Undernet or the other way around. If both are in no way related plz let me know.
If "you who have the power" do not give a flying penguin about what happens also plz let me know.

All of us who use Undernet know & aknowledge you are not getting a red cent for what you do, whether onlineIRC or in this forum. But neither are WE.
Therefore our ragging on you ppl for "seeming" to do nada is just as justified as your answers that it is a free service by ppl who get nothing from people who pay nothing.

But this is another topic maybe discussed somewhere else....

All of the above is an attempt to maybe put Undernet in a new perspective, where ppl with knowledge (& access) help ppl without to achieve a common goal....

---> maintain a medium which has been providing ALL of us with a few hours of real human contact a day....

Take care & happy chat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:40 am 
Forum Moderator

I`m not sure how one can link the gnuworld database which uses PostgreSQL (pgsql) and the forum database which uses MySQL. If it would be possible it would need serious coding. If you were an older user on the forum you`d know that instead of just listing some ideea we agreed it would be nice to do the modifications yourself. Since both gnuworld and phpbb are open source you can do it yourself.
If you don`t know how to do it you wouldn`t know if it`s possible to link the 2 databases case in which you shouldn`t talk about it.
As for ISP registration and stuff like that lemme tell you that there are other way to prevent spammer upon registration. And i don`t think the spammers are such a big deal on this forum.
Thank you for your ideeas i`m sure they will be taken into consideration by the forum administration and you will see if they will be applied. :wink: So far we did good Thank you very much.

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi RaKouNi,

Your 3 suggestions together will prevent like 99% of users from registering on the forum. Personally I find your suggestions pretty bad and useless.

As I can see you opened this thread because of spam, and you gave those suggestions because of spam. I already suggested something that can be done very fast (just I didn't do that in the public forum), but here it is:

- A captcha on registration
- Email activation required

This will prevent robots from registering. So, robots spam problem will be fixed (99% of forum spam is done by robots).

Best Regards,
Mit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:01 pm 

Quote:
Your 3 suggestions together will prevent like 99% of users from registering on the forum. Personally I find your suggestions pretty bad and useless.

If you believe that---> then prevent 99% of users from register user accounts on undernet anyway.After that conclusion the +r means disaster for every channel if use it.

also i agree with the other 2 solutions
and
i disagree with the position of sirAndrew:
Quote:
we agreed it would be nice to do the modifications yourself

Quote:
Since both gnuworld and phpbb are open source you can do it yourself.

why is simple.All the ppl have the right to say opinions and share ideas with the others.If i accept the position "if you want just make it" then you didnt want the simple user here but only IT managers,programers,scripters etc.
And something else.IF and i repeat IF someone comes here and say: hey here is the code or post the source on gnuword the admins will take the code and will adapted ? I DONT THINK SO. reason? NOT TESTED=>security reasons,compromise network etc.
isnt it?
anyway.Talking too much for not so serious problem(spam on forum).
But just in case think about the Mitko`s solution (is fast executed indeed),many forums use it as i know.

best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:14 am 

That CAPTCHA would be helpful in this spam fight. Until it's implemented, moderators will do the best to clean out the crap and keep these forums decent. All constructive criticism are welcome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]