It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Junk email
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:22 pm 

Hi, ever since I registered a cservice username, the email address I used has been getting bulk spam, from the same sender (but not address) it seems, judging by the similar email subject lines.

Does undernet give away lists of people's email addresses? And is there any way email addresses used to register usernames can be seen by other people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:43 pm 

Hello mintaka. Be sure that undernet dosen't give away peoples mails adresses and about the mails of cservice users acounts can be seen only by cservice and usernames officials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:00 pm 
Cservice Official

Privacy Policy

A number of users have asked us about our privacy policy and pointed out that the 100% clean list of email addresses that we have would be worth quite a lot on the open market. Indeed, this is quite true, however, Undernet and Undernet CService is not a commercial entity, and no-one associated with Undernet is expecting to make any money out of it. We run it with the expectation that we will loose money and we accept it. IRC Networks are possibly one of the last true examples of altruism on the Internet. We do what we do out of the kindness of out hearts. Honestly.

That rant aside, our privacy policy is simple. Your email address will never be passed on to anyone outside of Undernet Administration. You have provided us with your email address for one reason and one reason only. This is to provide us with a means of contacting you and verifying your identity. Your email address is not publically viewable and will remain that way. Your email address will not be transferred by way of sale or other exchange or other means to any other party other than the administration of Undernet or verified law enforcement agents who formally require it of us.

This is not the right section for this post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:39 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

Moved to CService section.

Eenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:14 pm 

Hound, Etherfast, thanks for your replies. Sorry I posted this in the wrong category.
I found the source of the spam (a unix mailing list user, who keeps sending 5 or 6 emails per day. And it seems my email address still resides in posts on the mailing list, even though I'd unsubscribed ages ago. Some spammer(s) figured out that they could use anything@myusername.myisp.tld).
The spam started arriving just after I'd registered an Undernet username, which made me wonder.
Anyway, I'm glad it's not from Undernet, as it's a good medium.

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:39 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

I just thought I would correct one little detail. it's never outside of CService Administration. In otherwords even irc op's do not have access to email address information. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]