It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is the CService site abandoned?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:09 pm 

To quote from an earlier message, #cservice deals with questions regarding X and registered channels, and #usernames helps with username-related issues.

Who deals with problems related to the CService website, then? Apparently, #cservice isn't the place for this. It is their site, but not their problem.

And, speaking of this site, will it ever be updated? Will all these pieces of information that people need to know - like the 24 hour ban for multiple failed attempts to log in - be documented and published online?

Last but not least, when and why did #cservice transform from a reputable help channel into a secretary that knows little more than redirecting calls to other (probably more competent) extensions?

C'mon guys, get your act together. You know, I'm still waiting for that list of who's responsible for what to shine some light into this black hole of a committee. And don't hate me for writing down the questions that many others are too angry to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:22 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

puterfixer said:
Quote:
Who deals with problems related to the CService website? Apparently, #cservice isn't the place for this. It is their site, but not their problem.

Indeed, I stated in http://forum.undernet.org/viewtopic.php?t=2923
Quote:
I was answered immediately by a user there, "24 hours." At the same time, an op in #CService told me to go ask in #usernames." I just had to laugh. Does #CService find it "not their job" to answer a question concerning their website? And why would #usernames be a more appropriate place to ask?

and asked in the same place:
Quote:
so I really would like to know just where #CService wants us to send people with issues concerning their website when we do not know.

It gets very frustrating receiving an answer that merely defends the #CService ops and one that never touches on the main question, that being: Where do we get answers about the mechanics of the CService website?

The original question was concerning a problem on the site, how long to wait when someone gets the error: "too many login attempts for this user." NOT a username issue at all.

So, instead of getting an answer, the topic was locked. Way to go.

Eenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:26 pm 

Yeah, it looks like someone loves to have the final word in each conversation, and also makes sure he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:46 pm 

The cservice documents and announcements have been updated, but not yet posted, we're waiting for the end of this month, to gather it all up from members that worked on them, and then e-mail a coder to update the site.
I won't comment on the rest of your post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:08 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

Regarding the Website...

If the issue with the website is username related #usernames, everything else #CService. The previous post you mentioned was a username problem not a website problem.

"too many login attempts for this user." IS a username issue, not a website issue, it only happens to be that you only see it on the website.

The topic was locked because the original question WAS answered, I can't help people not liking the response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:16 pm 

xplora wrote:
it only happens to be that you only see it on the website.

Then it is a setting for the web interface that blocks a certain number of incorrect logins, correct? Consequently, it is a website issue, as it only appears on the website, correct? So it is not related to normally using the username on IRC, correct? What does #usernames have to do with it, then? How can they possibly help with this problem, if the website is not under their responsibility? Why can't #cservice answer the question directly and adds an extra step into finding the solution to the problem by sending the person to another channel under the same CService umbrella?

And the existence of this setting should have been documented somewhere, as well as people being given advice on what they should do in case it happens to them.

About topic locking: perhaps it is only your opinion that the question has been properly answered. From the other side of the table, I see a lot of frustration with incomplete or completely off-topic answers which do not, in fact, fully answer or solve the original problem. Let the person who asked the question decide when they are satisfied with the answer, don't shut them up when you think your job is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 am 

Wolfyx wrote:
The op you said sent you to #usernames *may* have thought you lost your password, and sent you there for the purpose of recovering it. Indeed ops should send ppl in #usernames when it comes to forgotten passwords, username recovery etc.

Eenie's question was very Crisp and Clear, "too many failed login attempts for this username' when does this expire?".

The Answer of that question doesn't need to be redirected to #UserNames, wait patiently to get +voiced, and ask that simple question that even Volunteers from #cservice and other Helpchans could answer that. Remember that #UserNames is moderated, you have to wait first to get a +voice before you can ask, even your question is just "when does this expire?".

Well, if that's the case (simple questions can now be ask in #UserNames), why don't you behave it like #cservice and other helpchans, that is Open (not moderated), so we can ask those simple questions directly on the main channel w/out waiting an eon to get +voice?

I can't believe that #cservice now is too picky on questions. Take a look at other Help channels, they can answer CService related questions w/out being redirected to #cservice. Why don't you answer and have to redirect the user to a Moderated channel if you are 120% sure with the answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 am 
#Userguide Member

Some people just think to much, but if you insist lets see now ...
Too many failed login attempts for this username
So it means that is a problem ... but with what ?! With the username of course.
Problems/questions regarding usernames (it doesn't matter if you say them on website or via IRC) are resolved in #usernames.

But because #CService is a free talk channel(no +m) it could be helped there as well, and it is not a verry important question so the user will have to wait to get voiced on #usernames just for 2 words answer.

I think #usernames is moderated because the channel deals with personal informations (usernames) and it will be verry baffling for the @ to answer to each user. (if no -m).

This is not such a big problem to be posted on website (help file or someting) volunteers can answer to this kind of questions easily. :glasses:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 pm 

Sorry Dooku, but I believe you are wrong. Let me explain by analogy: assume you use your index finger to push buttons on your computer, on the phone and in the elevator. Suddenly, nothing happens when you push the elevator buttons, but pushing computer and telephone buttons works. What is deffective, your finger or the elevator? Same way: if the login limit only happens on the website, then it's a website issue, not a username issue. If it was a username issue, it would be reflected EVERYWHERE the username was used, including on IRC.

I'll ask Santa to bring you an extra large bottle of concentrated Logic this Christmas, just let me know what fruit flavor you'd like. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:31 pm 

I made that question long time ago, and the answer was it was a security measure, and it makes sence. I know that it may causes problems to non abusers, but it was necessary at the time (and I still think it's necessary).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:13 pm 

Yes, it's a good security measure. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is that people are passed around from one channel to another and that nobody is taking responsibility for the CService website. Please read again the questions in the first post of the discussion thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

As far as passing between channels goes, what you are suggesting is that we start handling generic help and coding and oper help yet none of these service we are capable of providing.

We have chosen to make the split at Username RELATED, not Username SPECIFIC. therefore in some issues such as this one #CService will pass onto #usernames.

If the split was Username SPECIFIC, then yes #CService would/should have answered it, since the problem was only username related.

I no longer see the point of this thread, topic locked.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]