It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: A new option for our usernames.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:35 pm 

Hello.
I was thinking at a new option for usernames on undernet. For when we know we will be away from IRC and undernet more than 61+ days our username won't expire, won't be erased from the database.
I want to say when this option will be set to ON, our username won't expire like usually after 61+ days. I saw a lot of cases when people had some problems and when they comed back saw theyr old usernames where taken by some new people, and that sucks.
Hope that this option is possible to set and I think this new option would be very useful for undernet users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:41 pm 
Cservice Official

Hello, Hound

This option already exists and it's available only for Undernet's Officials.

There is no reason to enable it for regular users, as if no one logs in to his username for more than two months, they clearly don't need that certain username, and we should give everyone the chance of registering it if liked.

All the best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not a bad idee....Coder-com can implement in gnuworld a new feature combiing suspend + noexpire in one big tag, and Cservice can make a new subcommittee with a proper email adress, or Coders could add a new form on the Cservice website where users who can`t be online for more than 60 days (let`s say there`s a war in my country and i have no electricity for 3 months what do i do? ) explain the reasons they can`t join undernet for that period and ask for a suspend+noexpire. CSC reviews the request and sets that mode. When you come back you email CSC again from the email you registered the username on and CSC removes the tag...and everyone is happy.

However if this feature will ever be implemented 3-5 days should really mean 3-5 days for CSC. Usually CSC says you`ll get replied in 3-5 days but in reality that means next fall or never.

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:16 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

if you are going to be away for longer than 60 days, why not just visit an internet cafe whereever you are say once a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 pm 

Was just an ideea, and I think this would be useful, and undernet is playing favorites, *only for undernet's officials*. And andrew there haves a big ideea with that form waiting for a reply in 3-5 days, andrew's ideea is kinda cool. I don't think anyone who goes away for some time would like when he returns to see the username through he had a lot of friends in others people hands. This is a virtual life, we know each other only by our username.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

xplora wrote:
if you are going to be away for longer than 60 days, why not just visit an internet cafe whereever you are say once a month.

I told you...what happens if i have to have a heart surgery and complication appear and i can`t join irc for 60+ days? And when i get back someone takes my username? This is not just about going away for a period....

Also implementing this new username tag can stop passing usernames from one user to another....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 am 

sirAndrew wrote:
xplora wrote:

I told you...what happens if i have to have a heart surgery and complication appear and i can`t join irc for 60+ days? And when i get back someone takes my username? This is not just about going away for a period....

Also implementing this new username tag can stop passing usernames from one user to another....

Your talking about is for nicknames is too.For example sometimes i got disconnected and someone takes my nick and i am getting angry.But isn't that a feature of UnderNet? The fastest wins.So we must use time and speed good for that. i didn't see nickname/username expire date more than 2 weeks in other servers, UnderNet is good on that. for me dont need new action about that :) (first&fast&win Feature of the undernet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:02 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

Revival, 2 points...

1. your off topic, nicknames are NOT usernames
2. Undernet does not offer nickname protection of ANY sort (I suggest you search on that before even thinking about responding)

SirAndrew your tag already exists, however the question is, is it a good idea to allow Usernames to last longer than 60 days, in your example I have no problem with that... but those are far and few between :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:30 pm 

It is a great ideea, I bet on it. And this option like andrew sayd, could be enabled only at our request via some email forms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 am 
Forum Moderator

xplora wrote:
Revival, 2 points...

1. your off topic, nicknames are NOT usernames
2. Undernet does not offer nickname protection of ANY sort (I suggest you search on that before even thinking about responding)

SirAndrew your tag already exists, however the question is, is it a good idea to allow Usernames to last longer than 60 days, in your example I have no problem with that... but those are far and few between :(

xplora....i use gnuworld and i know which tags exist and which not...i`m not refering to the one no purge on idle username tag.....I`m thinking about combining that tag with the suspend one....al in one tag..something like the vacation one...but not quite.....This tag would stop abusers from sending a false mail so they won`t get no expire on their usernames and still being able to login. Implementing a feature that will alow your username to last more than 60 days and suspending it at the same time will mean you`ll get only requests from people who need that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:10 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

that would just be a matter of policy, for such a request, set nopurgeonexpire, and suspend with an appropriate comment... that still leaves the bureaucracy needed... but...

if combining the setting, what about a form on the webpages, where the suspension is real only on X, not on the website. This semi suspension idea could also be used in helping us fix hacked username.... food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

xplora wrote:
that would just be a matter of policy, for such a request, set nopurgeonexpire, and suspend with an appropriate comment... that still leaves the bureaucracy needed... but...

if combining the setting, what about a form on the webpages, where the suspension is real only on X, not on the website. This semi suspension idea could also be used in helping us fix hacked username.... food for thought.

True, i`ve seen cases when someone`s username was stolen and he the one who did that, didn`t change the password/mail just logged in with it on irc and was idleing. A feature like you suggested would help in such a case. The irc part of the username would be suspended via a form on the webpage so even if the thief would login with it on irc and stay logged in for days he couldn`t do anything with the username.

The features i suggest and you suggested xplora are really interesting and should be propused to CSC coordination or coder-com

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]