It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: MAX LOGINS ENABLED/DISABLED.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:26 pm 

Hello,

Should max logins be enabled? or disabled?

what do you think about this? will it cause abuse keeping it enabled? or will it stop people having multiple usernames?

~ bisto

Post subject: me me and again me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:37 pm 

Well i think they will not stop abuses because lamers will remain forever lamers even if you give them an O :)... but i think some maxlogins set to 2 are good they can be tested for some weeks and if all works well all is ok :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:41 pm 

I agree to that, but I don't think it would be set this way.. How many removed undernet features have been re-enabled until now?
Well, I guess we'll have to deal to it as it is =)

Enjoy

Yes, I'm Etherfast =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:44 pm 
#Userguide Member

hi guys...

This is a question where i expect an answer as well .. i wish max logins to be enabled back .. at last at 2 .. cause is very usefull .. for me personally speaking it is .. i am soo mad i can't have this feature enabled..
for cs stuff and opers is available.. isn't that cute? ... BUT IS WRONG! ... i want it to .. i need it .. is not just because :evil: .

Hope someday it will be reactivated..

wish ya all a nice day/night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:34 pm 

heya all...
I want the maxlogins feature to be ENABLED back... It was usefull for me and for other Undernet users... hope it will be avaible soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:16 pm 

Maxlogins is enabled on X. It's just not possible for the user to set it and it has been forced to 1 by default.

Cservice admins are able to set it, but they are most likely not to do you this favour, they like to keep this for themself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:35 pm 
#Userguide Member

we know Outsider... but since the command is set at 1 .. why they are using set at 2 or 3 eh? and we don't ? .. doesn't look fair at all to me .. onest. If they can set it at 2 .. i want it as well .. don't u want as well OUTsider? :devil:

Post subject: =)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:08 am 

Speed : the actual reason why CService personell is granted a maxlogins value higher than 1, is because if they got in that position, they are trustfull and responsible people, that respect and obey undernet policies. And it's not likely that they would do something wrong with those priviledges...
Some other purpuoses? Well, when they're holding a #opschool session, for example, the teacher can be logged in with the same username as one of the tutors, and so on.
Finally, they might have a local connection and a psy, and believe me, they hate flooding =)

Enjoy undernet as it is

Yes, I'm Etherfast =)

Post subject: Re: =)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:50 pm 

zK wrote:
Speed : the actual reason why CService personell is granted a maxlogins value higher than 1, is because if they got in that position, they are trustfull and responsible people, that respect and obey undernet policies. And it's not likely that they would do something wrong with those priviledges...

Uhm, hello, they define the rules, and they can do whatever they want....
They can set maxlogins for themself to something higher then 1 because they CAN.

zK wrote:
Some other purpuoses? Well, when they're holding a #opschool session, for example, the teacher can be logged in with the same username as one of the tutors, and so on.

For that purpose they would need to give out there username and password, something that is unlikely to be done. So this 'excuse' doesn't count.

zK wrote:
Finally, they might have a local connection and a psy, and believe me, they hate flooding =)

And thats what they really want it for. We aren't allowed to do it this way, but they are ? Aren't admins the person who should set the example towards the users ? Maxlogins has been disabled for this reason so people can't do this anymore.

Another reason was because people equipped there floodnet using this feature. The only reason Cservice disabled it is for two reasons:
- To make it harder for scrippies to create authed floodnets
- To have less work getting complaints about such nets.

However, what came because of this ? :
- Increase in multiple usernames registered to the same user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:18 pm 

I *cough* agree. But...anybody hears ? echoes ? :classic:

It usually happens in real life that the ones that make the rules for others are the first ones that break them (or think they are above them).

Carlos
every time more and more weary of this.

"Blessed is the end user who expects nothing, for s/he will not be disappointed" Franklin's rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:13 am 

All I see around are just few guys blaming everything...
As a CService Trainee I am... I think would be nice to have maxlogins enabled back for ALL of us... but that's not up to me... but yea, I would like to have it enabled to 2.. for all...

Btw... OUTsider, Speed and all the others... why do you blame an administrator that haves maxlogins value set at 2/3 while he is spending hours every day making sure that your channel is ok.. or your friend's username needs an e-mail change? Are you sure they don't deserve it?

Post subject: maxlogin increase or ghostkill command desperately needed
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 am 
Forum Super Moderator

I know this is an old topic, but the problem it addresses is still just as valid now if not more so.

I have been helping in legitimate help channels on Undernet for going on 11 years now, being a channel manager of one of them.

I often find myself helping someone, only to be disconnected for a multitude of reasons, from my ISP having a weak signal, to the various and sundry server disconnect reasons.

The problem I encounter is when I reconnect and find my ghost sitting there for an average of 10 minutes. Yes, I time it. That is the average time. I have to wait until it dies so I am able to log in and use +x mode in order to rejoin the channel(s) I was in. I have to do this in order to hide my IP. Being an op in some high visibility help channels makes me a target of people who have nothing better to do than cause havoc to others. If I don't do that, I am succeptable to being icmp flooded or other ddos attacks from those in the channel. Yes, this has happened to me as well.

Many times, the person I was helping talks to my ghost, thinks I am ignoring them and leaves. Sometimes, I have spent 20-30 minutes helping that person before I lose my connection. It is rare that the person waits around for the 10 minutes or so until my ghost dies for me to be able to come back into the channel with my logged in username and +x mode set in order for me to finish their help.

This is extremely disheartening and frustrating for both me and the person asking for help.

I asked a CService rep tonight about being granted a maxlogin of 2, stating that I personally believe all users should have that, and he told me that it is almost impossible to get, as well as stating, "CService people are not allowed to have more than 1 maxlogin." I think I am getting the run-around.

I know *some people* have a higher maxlogin than 1 on Undernet. I cannot think of a better reason than I have stated to have a higher maxlogin. I am asking again that we be granted maxlogin 2 or a way to kill our own ghosts.

I just hope whomever is responsible for granting this to Undernet users reads this and realizes the need for it.

Sorry if this is too long or if I am digging up bones, but I feel it really needs to be stated again.

If anyone can recommend a better person or committee or forum to state my case in, please let me know.

Eenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:33 am 

I agree with Eenie's post in totality . We REALLY need maxlogins or like Eenie sayd a mode to kill our own ghost. There are plenty reasons, that Eenie mentioned too for maxlogins to be ENABLED again.
Regards and I hope this will be a new feauture for UnderNet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:31 am 

Eenie has right and we all know that, but the point is that command has been disabled , but only for most of us. There are still people which using the maxlogins, even if they are NOT Officials or other types of representants. The point is from the begininng we have to do with kind of discrimination. I mean the command should be available for ALL or for CService members and that's all, I still don't see the things through other point of view.
I've seen upper talking about the disconnecting moments while the ghosts are still connected and I have to tell you such situation may forcing us to join without any DDoS protection. I bet 99% of people will wait not even 20, who knows maybe 5 min it's more specific so our time spent in such direction will be useless. We should have the right to make a choice, we can have maxlogins or second if the first's not possible to kill my ghost by myself <as example>. I think both of them are possible and you can try to find a solution to choose one of them.

Last edited by mwx on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:42 am 
Forum Super Moderator

The point is NOT that *some people* have maxlogins more than 1. The point is that we ALL need maxlogin 2 or a ghostkill command.

Please understand my request and do not derail this topic.

Eenie

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next