It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: CService's outdated email policy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 pm 

I went to the cservice website today to try to change my email address and it says I'm not allowed. I'm assuming this is because CService doesn't like my free gmail.com email address. This is an outdated policy that needs really needs change.

I've been a channel owner for more than 10 years and my listed email address has been closed with my account at the ISP almost as long. I don't have access to any other email address, I don't even think my current ISP offers email. Even if they did, why would I want to register something that is likely to change so often when I've had a perfectly fine gmail address since the service launched.

I think a lot of people feel the same way about email. Wouldn't it be better for CService to have a valid email address for people? Why is this outdated policy still in place? Surely if someone wanted to they could find ways around your current email policy.

Post subject: Re: CService's outdated email policy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 am 
Undernet Webmasters

The main two reasons why CService is not allowing most free web-based email accounts are:
1- they provide ways for multiple usernames registrations
2- lack of support

You can hold an infinite number of gmail,yahoo,msn etc email accounts, and each one can be used to register a username. This is something CService wants to avoid.

Most free email addresses have close to zero support, meaning if one gets his email hacked, it's almost impossible for them to recover it, hence the username becomes invalid too.

I'm sure you can easily see the logic behind those restrictions. There are alternatives to ISP email, such as work/school or even personal domain accounts. Undernet will never spam or send unrequested emails, also does not disclose personal information, so it's safe to use such accounts.

As far as I can see, your company ( or the one you used to submit this post), clearly provides email accounts, so I suggest you contact them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 pm 

I'm sure if someone wanted to they could find plenty of free email services that aren't blocked by undernet. If someone really wants to scam undernet like this, they'll find a way. I'm sure a lot of these email services probably aren't very secure too, which probably isn't important to someone scamming undernet but is to a legit user like me. Anyone who owns a domain has an infinite number of addresses too. People shouldn't have to own a domain to register a channel though.

Undernet should try to find another way to verify channel owners. If the user is registering channels that are active, which is a requirement, I really don't see how this hurts anyone. IRC doesn't exactly have the numbers it used to anymore anyway.

The ISP I am posting from isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it. I don't have my own ISP as I tend to move around a lot. I really hope there is never any need for undernet to email me because, as mentioned, that address has been off for almost 10 years and there is apparently nothing I can do to fix this short of buying a domain and some hosting (which I can't really afford).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am 

Wage wrote:
I'm sure if someone wanted to they could find plenty of free email services that aren't blocked by undernet. If someone really wants to scam undernet like this, they'll find a way. I'm sure a lot of these email services probably aren't very secure too, which probably isn't important to someone scamming undernet but is to a legit user like me. Anyone who owns a domain has an infinite number of addresses too. People shouldn't have to own a domain to register a channel though.

I agree but i don't think if you own a domain you will actually risk getting yourself caught by registering multiples using your domain, that would be plain stupid plus a waste of your money.

Wage wrote:
Undernet should try to find another way to verify channel owners. If the user is registering channels that are active, which is a requirement, I really don't see how this hurts anyone. IRC doesn't exactly have the numbers it used to anymore anyway.

Inconvenient as it sounds that's how system works, there won't be any changes in the future and NO it's NOT mandatory to use X services or registering a channel using X services, it's more like a priviledge rather than something granted which can be revoked at any point.

Wage wrote:
The ISP I am posting from isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it. I don't have my own ISP as I tend to move around a lot. I really hope there is never any need for undernet to email me because, as mentioned, that address has been off for almost 10 years and there is apparently nothing I can do to fix this short of buying a domain and some hosting (which I can't really afford).

I'm sorry but unfortunately there is no solution to your issue whatsoever, I truly wish there was. You either use ISP e-mail which CService recommends or any other email whether it's free or paid. Like you said, there are plenty of free emails which are not yet blocked, so feel free to search. Good luck :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

A way around the gmail limitation might be to register your own domain, and then have gmail/google apps handle the domain, this way you get to keep your email with gmail but have a domain name that is your own. But as far as @gmail.com goes, sorry but it's not going to happen. :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]