It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Was: HISTORY or Manager/Admin Log
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm 

Uh hi...

Sorry guys, I hate to spoil the party and use this thing known as logic, but how's this for an idea:

Let the channel manager set what access level is the minimum for being able to see the audit log, and have it default to 500.

And the above suggestion aside, I don't really see the issue with allowing 495+ people to see the log. If you don't want high-level access people on your channel seeing it, then simply give them access below 495. As long as you maintain a hierarchy where different users are higher/lower than others, I don't see what it matters if they have say 494 as opposed to 499 (and they're the second highest access user on the channel.). If there's something I am missing here, I am happy to have it explained to me, though I think my above approach is ideal and perfect in its simplicity.

As for whether this log is accessed via X, or via the web, I'd like the option of both, but I think most people would be content with just a web interface. A web interface should make for easier reading, and would take minimal dev time to implement.

Egotist.

Post subject: Re: HISTORY or Manager/Admin Log
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:41 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

Egotist wrote:
Uh hi...

Sorry guys, I hate to spoil the party and use this thing known as logic, but how's this for an idea:

Let the channel manager set what access level is the minimum for being able to see the audit log, and have it default to 500.

And the above suggestion aside, I don't really see the issue with allowing 495+ people to see the log. If you don't want high-level access people on your channel seeing it, then simply give them access below 495. As long as you maintain a hierarchy where different users are higher/lower than others, I don't see what it matters if they have say 494 as opposed to 499 (and they're the second highest access user on the channel.). If there's something I am missing here, I am happy to have it explained to me, though I think my above approach is ideal and perfect in its simplicity.

As for whether this log is accessed via X, or via the web, I'd like the option of both, but I think most people would be content with just a web interface. A web interface should make for easier reading, and would take minimal dev time to implement.

Egotist.

You have obviously never heard of "KISS" Keep It Simple Strategy.

CService has thought many times of adding that kind of complexity to several commands, problem is, the idea is exactly that, complex, not simple. Complex to support, complex to teach, complex to use. At this time the most complex items in X are Floating limits, access suspend, and ban masks. X is not an eggdrop bot, X uses access level to define access, eggdrops use usermodes to define access. If you prefer a bot that uses usermode based access, try an eggdrop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 am 

I believe my approach is very simple.

I suppose I don't consider the undernet userbase to be quite as dense as you do. :)

Implement it however you like, or don't implement it at all, I don't really care. I provided a highly flexible solution that is quite simple. It might challenge the mental faculties of the kind of people who need to read the instructions (with aid of pictures) on hand-dryers in public bathrooms, but I think most people who are able to tie their shoelaces should be able to deal with it.

And I am also someone who likes transparency and accountability. I think giving a channel manager the option of doing something like:
/msg X set #foo historylevel 150

and thus permitting anyone with 150+ access to view the log would be a great thing. It lets you grant access to the log without having to give away the privilege of being able to add users, etc.

Egotist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:10 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

Egotist wrote:
I believe my approach is very simple.

I suppose I don't consider the undernet userbase to be quite as dense as you do. :)

Implement it however you like, or don't implement it at all, I don't really care. I provided a highly flexible solution that is quite simple. It might challenge the mental faculties of the kind of people who need to read the instructions (with aid of pictures) on hand-dryers in public bathrooms, but I think most people who are able to tie their shoelaces should be able to deal with it.

And I am also someone who likes transparency and accountability. I think giving a channel manager the option of doing something like:
/msg X set #foo historylevel 150

and thus permitting anyone with 150+ access to view the log would be a great thing. It lets you grant access to the log without having to give away the privilege of being able to add users, etc.

Egotist.

And you thought I was being a snob ?

That aside, good usability relies on good consistency, providing the option of changing access level for some or all commands would lose consistency on access level required to do certain things. You call it me treating people as being "dense", I call it providing a consistent and easy to use interface.

As I said previously, that idea creates too much complexity, everywhere, We have enough problems with Managers that decide to just add everyone at 499, then come complaining when they start to have problems in their channel. Your suggestion is an advanced user feature that we can not cater for.

This is also become off-topic so I have split the posts out to their own thread.

Post subject: Re: Was: HISTORY or Manager/Admin Log
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm 

Alright.

Well, since this is an addition to GNUWorld, this would be my proposition, and while it may not make all users happy, it should satisfy the admins of GNUWorld channel service deployments.
  • Add code (if not already present) to record appropriate history events.
  • Add a "viewhistory" or similar command for viewing said history events.
  • Add a global default access level for access to the viewhistory command.
  • Add code that allows channel managers to override the default value.
  • Add a global boolean value that turns on/off the ability for the channel mangers to override the global default.
That would cater for both implementation models, and would only require a few extra lines of code. The added flexibility will make GNUworld more appealing for non-undernet deployments, and the more locations making use of it, the more bugs that will be found and fixed, and the more patches and contributions will be given back. All good things in the evolution of an open-source project.

Egotist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

I was reading the previous thread of HISTORY or Manager/Admin Log and was wondering where its at in relation to the cservice implementation process?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:55 am 

jhune wrote:
I was reading the previous thread of HISTORY or Manager/Admin Log and was wondering where its at in relation to the cservice implementation process?

Dead.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]